Monday, October 15, 2007

Life...?

He looked at the calendar on the table about two feet away. He sighed to himself. He then looked outside the window and saw children running and laughing happily. How he wished he could join them.
However, his weak body would never allow him. He has been trapped in that little ward inside a large building. He has read many articles about the effects of the environment that were brought by his relatives. "Birth defects...? That could very well be my case, huh?" he though to himself.
Slowly, the door opens. A middle-aged woman walks in with a solemn look on her face.

"How are you today, son?" she asked.
With a small smile, he replied "As usual..."

"Son, listen. I've talked to the doctor today and..."
before she could finish her sentence, the boy looked away and cut in "...don't say it. I already know. I was eavesdropping on your conversation,"

The woman's eyes widened "You were out from your bed...?! How could you..."

"I wanted to go out...! I am sick, really sick of being here all the time! For all 15 years of my life I've been here in this prison! There's not much time for me left, is there?!"

"Son, please..."
"Why...why me?! Of all people in this world, why me?! Everyone is so sick! They think they can just throw anything they don't need all over the place?! All they care about is money!"

"That's ENOUGH! I've tried my best to keep you happy, son..." she started sobbing and continued "I wanted you to feel happiness, even though you're suffering from this..."

"How can I be happy while suffering at the same time, mom??? There...there's nothing "happy" about knowing when you'll die. I've always wanted to pursue my dreams...I guess my future is already here, huh? This place is going to be my deathbed..."

"Son..."
"Mom, I love you. Thank you for trying so hard. I truly appreciate it. For now, please give me some time alone..."

The woman looks sadly at her son for a while then walks away. The boy looks at the blue clock right beside the calendar. 9 o' clock at night...he was tired. Tired from thinking about so many things. He was sad...so sad that he could not cry.

He looked up at the ceiling. The ceiling that he had seen every night for fifteen years. He whispered to himself "I guess it's inevitable...no one can cheat death...no one..." Soon, he closed his eyes and fell asleep.

He never woke up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home